Home        About Dad        Web Videos        Food        Retro Goodness        Links        Contact       


6/29/14

Stumped while Retro treasure hunting


It's not too often that I get stumped identifying items while perusing the aisles of flea markets, thrift stores, or antique malls.  However, last week I came across an item that had me a bit perplexed.  Check it out..


It's a sculpture of some cat sitting in a red chair, atop a cracked piece of ground with patches of grass.  Furthermore, he has a ciggy in his mouth, a sack full of who knows what in his left hand, and something resembling a spike free chain mace in his right hand. 




What may even be more perplexing, is that there were three of these puppies on the shelf.  Who is this cat?  What's in the bag?  What's that in his other hand?  Is he some sort of Spanish Godfather?  Gaucho? Banker?

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but for the life of me I can't find one.  Any ideas? 




6 comments:

  1. Holy Moses, youve stumped me as well , and thats not easy to do. It does not appear to be vintage because my eye is telling me it cheap resin like inexpensive Dollar Store figurines but what the heck could it be? the strait back red chair and the Foo Man Chu mustache lead me to instantly think Chinese but whats up with the Cowboy hat? LOL Its a mystery Maybe theres something alive in that sack hes going to beat the hell out of with that Mace , he looks a little Sinister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA. Sinister resonated with me also Tommy! It makes the mystery all the more perplexing!

      Delete
  2. Holy cow...when I first glanced at it, what caught my eye was the guy's mustache and it reminded me of Cantinflas, an old time Mexican comedian...but after looking at this figure more closely, I have no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! He DID have a mustache like that!!

      Delete
  3. Hm. Not one that I've seen myself one guess would be: in the 1940s, I think a Japanese company, named Ucagco, made some porcelain figures, of "old west"-looking characters. You can see some ucagco stuff on www. etsy .com.
    My BEST guess would be: There seem to be some nicknacks behind him, that look like gift shop items sold by companies from Japan, or China, or places close to those countries. Could he be: a current, Asian artist's idea of an old west-era hobo? The brown sack looks like a bag of coins, while the green stick maybe a hobo's sack tied on the end of a stick. Or- a hobo's bag on a stick, aka: a bindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points! I believe he's dressed a little to nicely for a hobo. Also forgot to mention the statue was resin and not ceramic. You're right though.. the sack looks like it's full of coins.. and that might be a tiny bag on the end of the green stick. This one has kept me up nights wondering about it. Heh Heh

      Delete

What say you?