Home        About Dad        Web Videos        Food        Retro Goodness        Links        Contact       


2/11/13

Dad's Dish Retro Blog Reboot for 2013

Over the course of 2012, there were periods of time that I've given this blog very minimal attention.  I have a lot of varied interests, that sometimes keep me from buying out time that I would like to spend writing here.  First off.. I'm a huge food enthusiast and allot some of my writing time to my food blog.  I'm also a Beer Geek and avid home-brewer, so the food blog also gives me a platform to write about that as well.

Some of my other interests include beach cruiser bikes, bicycle restoration and customization, writing, reading, toy collecting, and anything to do with Disney, Tiki, and Sci-Fi.  Fortunately, most of my interests always intersect with the vintage and retro aspect at some point, so I never run out of topics to write about.  That being said, doing all I can to raise my family properly, sometimes leaves little time to pursue personal interests including blogging.

Less is not more when it comes to blogging.  If you stop producing content, or even slow down enough.. you start losing exposure, as well as readers.  I at one time had several blogs I regularly updated, and have slowly incorporated them into this, my oldest blog.  I've decided to bring one more into the fold.. that being my food blog.  That being said, I will now be able to offer lots of varied content that I hope my readers will enjoy.  I think I've found my happy medium with this blog which will should offer at least one new post per week.

So many friends and family in my life never "got me".  Even some of my closest friends shared very little in common with me in regards to my hobbies and leisure activities.  I've connected with tons of great people over the years online that actually share my same interests, and enjoy listening me talk about them.  Therefore, I feel it my duty to keep turning out fresh content that they are so thirsty for. 

Scheduling my time to write for the blog will help with my new goal.  A fresh coat of paint and new blog banner has also lit a fire under me to do more with the site.  So here's to 2013.. and hoping it will be a great year that produces more great retro content not only here, but across the entire blogosphere.


16 comments:

  1. Wow, love the new look, Darrin! Looking forward to new posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It's a work in progress.. and will surely be tweaked a few times pretty soon.

      Delete
  2. Yeah! You're not quitting! At first, that's what I was afraid I was reading. Do it at a pace you like and that keeps you interested, but not so much it's a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! It was so easy to fill the site with content when I had lots of spare time. However one or two posts a week is very doable for me right now.

      Delete
  3. Cool Darrin, sounds good. Love the new layout and I look forward to more posts! Glad to become friends and I completely understand that life gets in the way. I've dropped to about 2 posts a week as well if I'm lucky. But the main thing is that we're all still here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure are Jay! Even if only a couple people read the blog, I would still be doing this. I need to get the stuff out of my head that's rattling around after all right? ;^D

      Delete
  4. Can you send me some of your home brew? We can trade. What do you want?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you homebrew too? I've got a decent Tart Chocolate Cherry Stout I brewed not too long ago. Also did a SMASH IPA recently that's pretty good.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Heh Heh, thanks! (I can Haz a blog wifout burneeng myself owt!) ;^D

      Delete
  6. Darrin the site looks wonderful!! I totally know what you mean about finding time to blog. It definitely is a balancing act to find time for everything. Hooray for your new outlook and I can't wait for all your new posts. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are sticking around. I enjoy both your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw thanks, It feels good to know folks actually enjoy what I put out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new banner! I've been trying to find a happy medium with blogging too. For me personally, I dislike the thought of having a different blog for every interest I have so I've used just the one to cover everything...which might be a mistake? I gained a lot of followers who thought it was a vintage-only blog, but I don't want it to be a vintage-only blog. :) Anyway, looking forward to more of your posts here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Bets! I've tried the every blog thing a few times, and it simply takes up too much time for me personally. I understand your dilemma too. It's tough sometimes when you feel required to stay within certain parameters, while at the same time you have so many other interests. Fortunately for me, just about all my interests can be tied into my overall theme of this blog. You do a nice job with content, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
      Cheers!

      Delete

What say you?