5/28/12

Book Review - Fitness for Geeks

Fitness for Geeks 
Real Science, Great Nutrition and Good Health
by Bruce W. Perry

It seems that in this day and age of technology, many folks find themselves spending more time in front of a computer than staying physically active.  That in itself can create all kinds of problems, and wreak havoc on ones health.  Enter 'Fitness for Geeks' a book that deciphers the path to living fit in a modern day technology driven world.

The author expresses that a geek is someone who spends a huge amount of time analyzing the fine points of whatever interests them.  Since I seem to fit into that general description of "Geek", this book was right up my alley.  I've been rebooting my life as of late, and health is one of my top priorities to get a handle on.  'Fitness for Geeks' has helped me immensely in this matter by showing me many fixes are a matter of simple math or chemistry.  This is exactly what I needed at this point of my fitness reboot, as I often tend to think my body somehow has different needs nutritionally than what tried and true nutritional rules dictate.

The thing I really dig about this book, is how it's put together.  The author breaks down the basic ways our bodies work, and how to maximize our "pre-installed software" to our benefit.  A multitude of graphs, and discussions on fitness, nutrients and exercise, help to explain our physical makeup in a scientific, yet incredibly interesting manner.

Mind you.. this is not a diet handbook but rather, a guide that educates you as to what works and what will not in regards to staying fit.  As complex as some of the concepts of food chemistry and phytochemicals may be to grasp normally, the author packages the information in a format that's easy to read and understand.  Of particular interest to many will be the "Geek candy" in the form of detailed explanations of fitness apps and widgets for self tracking various fitness issues, not to mention an extensive list of reference URL's on the web.

As I finished reading this book, I was amazed at how much I learned about human physiology.  At the same time, I was also amazed at how much I didn't know about the inner workings of the human body.  Knowledge is power, and for this reason I recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their health (Geek or not).


Fitness for Geeks
Publisher: O'Reilly Media
 By Bruce W. Perry
Print ISBN: 9781449399894  Ebook ISBN: 9781449399887        
Pages: 336 
 Print Price: $34.99  Ebook Price: $27.99 

or