Home        About Dad        Web Videos        Retro Bicycling        Food        Retro Goodness        Links        Contact       


3/9/12

What ever happened to Beer Nuts?

While I hear these are still around, I sure as heck can't find them in the stores I regularly shop at.  Over the last couple of years I was shocked to find that a lot of younger folks I've talked to, have no clue what Beer Nuts are. 

For my old man, Beer Nuts were the quintessential snack to eat with beer.  He used to stock pile cans of these things in the cupboard for football games and boxing matches.  I remember Dad happily sharing his cans of Beer Nuts with me when I was a wee lad, and thinking I was getting away with something.  I simply equated that the peanuts had beer in them because of the product name.

When I turned 21 years old, the first thing I did was buy a six pack of Miller Genuine Draft, and a can of Beer Nuts.  I remember sitting at home that night watching an episode of Married with Children, as I sipped on lager and snacked on Beer Nuts. All was right with the world, and I felt like a king.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I eventually stopped buying Beer Nuts.  They simply became harder to find, and with the endless snack possibilities these days, it's not exactly like I couldn't find something else good to snack on with my beer.  For whatever reason, Beer Nuts have been on my mind a lot lately, and I think it's time to make an effort to track them down once again.  The hunt begins..

12 comments:

  1. That is surprising--my dad liked these, too, and I don't think I've had them since he passed away. Don't you hate it when younger generations never heard of people/things we grew up with? When Davy Jones passed away I said out loud in my office, "Oh, no, Davy Jones has died" and my coworker who is in her early 30s said, "Who's Davy Jones?" Doh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it makes me feel old when that happens! Heck.. today kids widely think of Davy Jones as "The squid guy" from Pirates of The Caribbean (my 10 yr old included) Had to set her straight right away. LOL

      Delete
  2. I worked in a grocery store in the Seattle area for 10 years. All the way from bag boy to journeymen checker. All those years I stocked shelves and/or checked out the customers - and I remember selling beer nuts for years. I never did buy them for myself... I last worked there in '85, so I don't know if they're still around here or not.

    but we did sell a lot of them in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the best! A little sweet and salty.. the perfect snack with beer! Hope I can track some down!

      Delete
  3. Your post made me smile. I can visualize you turning "of age" and sitting down with the Bundy's to partake. Perfect. I only see beernuts in little packages at convenience stores. Interesting. Do they assume people drink beer while out and about and need little packs of nute? I hope not. Anyhow. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Ya know.. other than when I was a kid.. I don't think I've ever eaten these without drinking beer! Hmm.. could these be a gateway snack? LOL

      Delete
  4. I remember as a kid and I'd get dragged to parties because my parents wouldn't let me stay home...anyway, the adults always had these with their drinks and I'd grab a few (peanuts, LOL). I didn't like that they had the skins on them. blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I didn't mind the skins. Although.. if one goes down the wrong pipe.. WATCH OUT!

      Delete
  5. I live in Central Illinois - the beer nut factory is still in Bloomington.
    Rest assured, you can find them relatively easy in this part of the country, but I'm guessing that because they are a relatively small company (compared to Lay's and other snack makers) they most likely can't compete very well for shelf space in grocery stores further away from 'home'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right. Back when there were less snack options in our culture, and it was more affordable to run a business, Beer Nuts were definitely more widely distributed. If I'm ever in the area, I'll have to see if they offer tours of their facility. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  6. That's crzy,they've been on my mind lately too. I haven't had them for along time either,so craving them! Having a hard time finding them too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep looking, they are DEFINTELY out there stilL!

      Delete

What say you?