Home        About Dad        Web Videos        Food        Retro Goodness        Links        Contact       


11/23/09

Retro breakfast cereal premiums and in box prizes

Have you purchased any kids cereal lately?  If so.. have you noticed the lack of cool in box prizes?  Being a kid at heart, I certainly have!  Kids cereals of today seldom offer in box prizes, and even if they do.. the premiums are nowhere near as good as they were back in the day! If you're a kid in this day and age, you hope and pray that your parents buy three to five boxes of the same brand cereal. That way, you can mail away the UPC's along with a check or money order for $5.99 to get a toy.  Or.. you can enjoy minutes of fun with a maze, or word games printed on the back of the cereal box.  I'm sorry, but kids of this generation got the short end of the stick in regards to cereal prizes!

When I was a kid, I used to run to the cereal aisle while my mom was shopping.  I would scour the entire aisle to find the boxes with the best toys.  Yes.. it was more about the toys than the cereal itself.  This was the hook that the cereal companies used to persuade buyers (mom's) to buy their products.  It was amazing how an unruly brat could instantly be silenced by being handed a box of unopened cereal.  There was always a picture on the front panel of the box displaying the "prize inside" and the back panel usually featured art or pictures of kids enjoying themselves immensely with said prizes.

Back in the 70's and 80's my dresser drawers were literally overflowing with cereal premiums, including everything from bicycle license plates to mini action figures.  From what I remember, the absolute best cereal premiums were obtained from Cap'n Crunch, Quisp, Frankenberry, Count Chocula, and Boo Berry, and Frosted Flakes.

Post Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles were some of my favorite in box prizes.  My cousin and I absolutely adored the Flintstones growing up and we made a hobby out of collecting Fruity Pebbles cereal premiums.  Here are a few of my favorite Flintstones premiums from my personal collection.  Enjoy...



1975 Flintstones coin purses

 

 
Why don't people use coin purses any more?
Oh yeah..
you can hardly purchase anything with coins these days.



1970 Flinstones Flintmobile
These cars were cast in several colors.
As most in box prizes, they came disassembled.


1974 Fred & Barney pencil holders
 
These were great back when I was in school.
(Back when kids still used pens and pencils)


I still have a couple of shoe boxes full of old cereal premiums.  Maybe I'll showcase more of them in a future post.  How about you? Do you still posses any cereal box memories from your youth?


19 comments:

  1. My parents never bought cereals with cool toys. They just bought Cherrios (not with honey).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'd like to formally request more cereal premium posts. Thank you for your consideration. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember which cereal offered it, but everyone wanted the submarine that was supposed to sink and resurface. I think you had to put baking soda in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the pics, cool that you still have it all, mine was thrown out with the garbage. I remember playing with those Flinstones cars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grew up on generic cereals.
    Have a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the bicycle license plates....REAL plates too! And I remember they came from Honeycomb, which I hated but asked for anyway just for the plate. :)

    Strangely, that's the only thing I remember getting out of cereal though I know there must have been others, that's the only one that sticks out in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I remember those Flintstone coin purses! LOL yeah, the toys or 'prizes' they put in cereal boxes these days are blah! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd usually get my mom to buy a certain box of cereal because of the toy that was in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I remember cereal being selected sometimes just because of the toy that was inside! Your Flintstone cereal premiums are very cool...even more special because they were from YOUR childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude I had the Fred and Dino coin purse. I have to go to my parents to see if they're in my old toy box. I also remember dinosaur coins in fruity pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SENORITA: Aw... I'm sorry. I remember that Cheerios seldom had prizes inside when I was a kid.

    NATHAN: I'll make sure to do more soon!

    TERRI: Aw yes! My brother and I had those! There were also frog men that would dive as well. I think POST cereals offered those.

    WILLIAM: Yeah... I've got tons of stuff from my childhood. And.. what I don't have, I can usually buy back on ebay. LOL!

    SECRETIA: Awwww.. Generic cereals DEFINITELY had no prizes =^(

    GINGE: I had tons of those license plates!! I was always disappointed however, because I never ONCE got a Colorado plate with the mountain background and all.

    MISS GO LIGHTLY: I had a Dino coin purse that I just about wore out. Hmmm... I wonder what people would think if I start using them again!?! LOL!

    KEITH: Me too! All my friends did as well. In fact.. we used to avidly trade cereal prizes with each other!

    TOKYOMAGIC: Thanks! I have many many more as well! I'll post more pics soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shonen King: Right on my Fruity Pebble Brother! LOL!! Oh... those coins Rocked as well!!! I SO wish I had some of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think there was generic cereal when I was a kid. That doesn't mean my mom bought the sugar cereal that had the toys, but it was all name brand stuff.

    I had the Flintstones car. That thing was great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Retro Hound: Yeah.. Flintstones cereal premiums were the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Does anyone know about this cereal prize.
    They were silver spacemen, holding a shovel, or a camera. They were approx 1 inch tall.
    More info would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm.. I'm no expert, but if you're positive it was a cereal premium, it may have come from POST or Kellogg's brand cereal. If there is a trademark name on the figure somewhere, a quick google or ebay search will most likely give you some insight on them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanx for the pic! By the time these came out I was too old to care about toys in cereal boxes, but now I have a renewed appreciation for them and Flintstones toys are among my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ed: Yup The Flintstones, Cap'n Crunch, and Monster Cereal premiums are probably the best. I still love playing with them to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have some random old cereal prizes,

    ReplyDelete

What say you?